Monday 12 August 2013

Week 4: San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk by Claude Monet (A picture a day)



San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk by Claude Monet

This painting titled "San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk" is one of Claude Monet's greatest series. I chose this painting because I love the overall composition and style of Monet. This Impressionist painting focuses on the cathedral and bell tower that is located on the coast of the island. I feel that Monet has done an excellent job in portraying the sunset at the beautiful island. 

I love how the colours of the sky blend together to resemble the colours of a rainbow. The reflection of the sky and bell tower on the water makes the painting feel mystical to me.  In the background, you can see mysterious buildings that seem to be floating. The forms are gently inserted, though not enough to disguise their identity. I think that the colours chosen for this painting were warm, and not too bright, maybe to bring out a sense of calmness through the waves in the water and also through the sky.



No comments:

Post a Comment