Monday 5 August 2013

Week 3: Upcycling Tattered Nepali Silk Meb-rure Furniture (A picture a day)

Tattered Nepali Silk Meb-rure Furniture


Tattered Nepali Silk Meb-rure Furniture front and back view


Tattered Nepali Silk Meb-rure Furniture with ottoman

I love how a new form of art is created from recycling old or unwanted materials.These beautiful pieces and furniture is created by company Meb-rure. This fun and funky furniture duo is made of oak and recycled silk reclaimed from Nepal. The production of these bright and bold pieces also provides work opportunities for unemployed women from Nepal who produce the recycled silk textile by hand. 

The silk is transformed into colourful sponge balls that are then wrapped in silk pieces of varying colours. American white oak provides the framework for all of the pieces, and each can be somewhat flat packed and legs attached by hand. A beautiful concept to reduce, reuse and recycle. I would definitely want this piece of furniture in my house next time. It will surely add some colors to my life!

I hope one day I can make use of recycled materials to create artworks that are both visually appealing and practical. Even though I major in Graphic Communication, I would love to venture into furniture design to explore new ideas and inspirations.


No comments:

Post a Comment