Monday 30 September 2013

Week 11: Penang Street Art (A picture a day)



Children On Swings

Kids Playing Basketball


Boat

Old Man

Art Is Dying

Old Motorcycle

Lucky Cat Mural

Marching Cats

These photos were taken by me during my trip to Georgetown, Penang in Malaysia this year. These street arts were done by Lithuanian artist Ernest Zacharevic. He leaves his mark with beautiful wall paintings of children all across historical Georgetown. The artworks are funny, fascinating and very much open to anybody's interpretations. These unique painting walls mimic life in the city and the wrought-iron caricatures with anecdotal descriptions of the streets they adore. 

I was intrigued by the newly transformed street scape of Georgetown. Taking photographs of these wall murals was one of my main objectives for travelling to Penang. There are around 30 artworks all over the city. I managed to find only some of them, but not all. Some of the artworks have deteriorated due to wear and tear, such as "Boat"  and "Old Man" from my photos above. 

From tiny paintings of marching cats and gigantic portraits painted on the side of a  building to turning abandoned bikes and unwanted clothes into real life 3-D street art, there was literally a treat hiding on every corner. You needed to look up, to look down, to look closer and sometimes just take time to sit down. For me, Penang’s street art, combined with its unique history, culture and beautiful old Colonial buildings are what made my trip so wonderful. I love Penang!

No comments:

Post a Comment