Monday 23 September 2013

Week 10: Animal heads human bodies illustration by Erica il Cane (A picture a day)

Artwork by Erica il Cane

Artwork by Erica il Cane

Artwork by Erica il Cane

Artwork by Erica il Cane

I was first introduced to this artist's works by my 2d-fundmental teacher Ms Joey Soh as a reference to my A2 size individual project painting. I chose one of the four topics which was 'Carnival'. I initially drew animal heads on human-like bodies, and after the teacher saw my works, she provided me with this artist's name for reference.

Bears, possums, otters, rabbits name any animal, and Erica il Cane has likely painted it. It is unknown why he named himself Erica il Cane (Erica the dog), but an animalistic name seems fitting. His creatures are anthropomorphized like many of the animal subjects found in contemporary art, but his approach appears vintage and illustrative, and his narratives are always intentionally mysterious. The pictures have dark undertones. On the back wall of the gallery, he painted a rabbit slipping into a noose. But some humour seeps through in other works.

I will be adding some of his style onto my A2 size painting. I hope that my painting will be turn out fine and that the teacher will like it. I chose to implement animal heads on human bodies for my theme 'Carnival' because I want to juxtapose the relationship of animals and human in a circus together. A contrast between animals, and human, both coexisting in one entity, yet bringing out the characteristics of both elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment