Wednesday 11 September 2013

Week 8: Paper Quiling Typography (A picture a day)

2012 by Sabeena Karnik

Love Forever by Sabeena Karnik

"V" by Sabeena Karnik

My 3D-fundamental project Birthday Card Cover

Close up of my own Paper Quiling Typography for 3D-fundamental

For my first 3D-fundamental module's project, we were asked to create a card, any kind as long as it is a 3d pop-up card. Immediately I know which artists work to reference to. I saw this paper quiling typography many months back, so I decided to use this art style to decorate the cover of my Happy Birthday card. The first two photos above was quilled by Sabeena Karnik of Mumbai, India, whose on-edge alphabet started flying around the internet.

To do this paper quiling typography, you first need to outline the letters using pencil. The colors of the design is up to your own creativity. For my 3D-fundamental project, I decided to use rainbow colors from the left to right, red to violet for the individual rows of words. Next you will cut strips of paper around 5mm and use it to form the outline of the letters. I used Elmer's Glue-All multi purpose glue to glue the strips of paper onto my card. I filled up the inside of the letter using 5mm strips of colored paper of both the letters itself, and also the colors of the letter on its left and right. I used a pin need to roll the strips of paper around it to create the rolled up effect of the strips. Then i slowly adjusted the width of the roll ups and curls, and cut them according to my preference. 

The whole process took many hours for me to finish up. But when I did complete my card, I achieved a sense of accomplishment. I would definitely use this idea to create Birthday cards for my friends next time. It also helped me to train my patience and improved on my handicraft skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment