Monday 2 September 2013

Week 7: The Scream by Edward Munch (A picture a day)

Edvard Munch
(12 December 1863 - 23 January 1944)

The Scream by Edvard Munch (1893)

Edward Munch was a Norwegian painter and printmaker who was regarded as the pioneer of the expressionist movement. He is most famous for his painting, The Scream, in oil, pastel and lithograph. The Scream was actually an alter image for Edward Munch. His artwork has a typical trait to portray the world solely from one subjective perspective, distorting it radically for emotional effect in order to evoke emotions or ideas. Edward Munch sought to express meaning or emotional experience rather than physical activity in his expressionist paintings.

His painting“The Scream”depicts a man in a private moment of anguished, despair and anxiety. There are four coloured versions and a black and white lithographic stone version of The Scream. I feel that painting is a mode of creative expression and the forms are numerous. These can be seen from the art movement, which has shown the different ways ideas and emotions can be portrayed in paintings.

I love how this painting is enriched with feelings using brushstrokes and the distorting effect. I really makes me feel that the person is screaming and it is radiating out from the painting. I sometimes reference to fine art western paintings cause I think that it can equip me with many inspirations and ideas which I may use in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment